Taiye Ojo, a 13-year-old Nigerian girl, has tragically passed away.
The young girl was on Saturday electrocuted to death in her residence in the Makoko area of Yaba, Lagos State.
PUNCH Metro reports on Wednesday that the tragedy occurred while the teenager was running away from a barking dog in the compound.
It was further learnt that Taiye was on her way to the toilet located within the premises when the dog started barking.
Scared by the dog’s behaviour, she was said to have attempted to run far from the dog’s reach.
The PUNCH correspondent further learnt that in the process of fleeing, the girl accidentally touched the outdoor unit of an air conditioner and she was electrocuted.
She was said to have been rushed to a nearby hospital where she was confirmed dead.
The development was said to have caused apprehension among residents of the house and their neighbours.
The matter was subsequently reported at the Sabo Police Station.
The remains of the girl were said to have been buried according to Islamic rites.
A police report on the case sighted by our correspondent read, “Information has it that a dog was barking at her (the deceased) while she was going to the toilet and when she tried to escape from the dog, her hand mistakenly touched the window unit air conditioner which electrocuted her.
“The DPO led the patrol team and detectives to the scene, but the deceased was already rushed to the hospital where she gave up the ghost.”
When contacted, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin, a Superintendent of Police, confirmed the incident in an interview with our correspondent.